Image Map

October 30, 2011

Introducing... Lori of Nourishment for Ladies

One of the neat things about the internet is that it seems to have shrunk the world. I've enjoyed getting to know women from around the country through their blogs, and I'll like to introduce a few of them to you over the next few weeks. I've only met one of these ladies in person, but these are all women who have inspired me in one way or another. I hope you'll enjoy getting to know them. Be sure to stop by their blogs, too!


Lori Rhodes is a woman of many seasons… she’s the mother of five girls (the oldest is soon to be married) with another on the way. She’s been married to her favorite pastor, Ray, for 24 years. On her blog, Nourishmentfor Ladies, Lori shares special family moments, funny stories, and encouraging words. I'm thankful that I have met Lori personally and have experienced her gracious hospitality. (Note: Ray also has a blog, Nourished in the Word, and online bookstore, Books that Nourish.)



Please share your job description in 25 words or less.   
My job description includes, but is not limited to being Ray's wife; mother to Rachel, Hannah, Sarah, Mary, Lydia and baby to be born in November; pastor's wife to Grace Community Church; daughter to Ray's and my parents; sister to all of our siblings; ... My life is not my own, but I'm glad about that.
What is the most challenging part of your job?
One of the most challenging parts of my job is having to choose between my children. There are often times when one will have an event at the same time as another, or one will want to talk when another needs me. It's hard to choose between one child's music class and another's basketball game.
Being pregnant at forty-four, controlling hormones is also a huge challenge for me.


What is the most rewarding part of your job?  
Having all of my family around the same table or in the same room, talking, laughing, reading or having Bible time together are incredibly rewarding times. I also love to see the girls reading on their own, playing dolls, or playing together. A wonderful sound to me is to hear giggles and whispers from another room knowing that my family members are loving each other.
What is your favorite room in your home? (and please tell us why) 
When I began to think of my favorite room in my home, my bedroom was what came to mind first. When it's clean, it is calm and peaceful and where I can usually be alone with Ray. But I also love our living room. It's big, holds a lot of people and is usually where there is the most laughter.
One of the goals in my home of girls was to have books and baby dolls readily available in every room. As the girls get older, that doesn't always work out, I think it helps to foster a love for reading and babies.

Please share a favorite recipe you’ve cooked or DIY project you’ve done (you can briefly describe, then link back to your blog/website – and I’d love a picture if you have one).
One of my favorite projects was our Scripture canvases! Our whole family painted canvases and put our weekly Scripture memory verses on them then hung them on the wall. I am still trying to figure out how to make them stay on the wall and hang straight, but I love the idea. Here is a link to the post. Because it's on my stairs I couldn't get a great picture of it. 


When you are unmotivated, what keeps you going?

Accountability is often what keeps me motivated to do what's right. If my girls are around, I really don't want to set a bad example for them.

Also, knowing Scripture is profitable for my life, I try to stay close to that. Some days I have to quote it over and over to make myself think correctly. And to be honest, in my own sinful heart, there have been times when I have known I needed to be doing something more productive, I've pushed aside thoughts of Scripture to satisfy my sin.

What sage advice would you give a young woman today who would like to marry?

My own "sage" advice for young women about to get married would be to love God more than you love your husband! He will not let you down. He is faithful, trustworthy, and your best comforter.

What were you doing thirty minutes before you answered these interview questions?

While I'm answering these questions, I'm also cooking a special meal for Ray's 50th birthday. I started making this meal when first got married and it has remained one of our special occasion meals. The only problem is I lost the recipe at Father's Day and I am going on memory tonight.

What’s your favorite Starbucks drink?

I don't think I could ever get too much coffee, I love it! At Starbucks I would generally choose a plain latte or add a shot vanilla to it. In the Fall, hands down- Pumpkin spice latte. But I also enjoy the peppermint mocha latte in the winter. Being pregnant, I haven't drank a lot of coffee in the past few months so I'm looking forward to that soon.

 {Note: I shared one of Lori's favorite fall recipes here.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

We don't all have to agree, but please be nice!